Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Sign Of The Times.

Things don' change.

That's the name of a track submitted to me by a Nigerian artist for review and polishing. I felt flattered...but that's not what this is about.

I just thought it...well, interesting that just after this great country of ours became 51years old...it's still as developed as a nine year old. It's just...well..

Inspiring.

Some writer wrote a piece on Lagos state..about how we live fake lives and are too concerned about appearances and not what really counts.
How it's easier than it looks to bring a spa to Nigeria..and harder than it looks to build a transformer; how there are tons of cars but the roads are something else; how we all use the latest phones but don't have access to 24hr electricity. Or words to that effect.

Well. I know it is stale news and what not...but honestly it saddens and depresses me when it seems as though someone has to come from somewhere and paint a morbid picture of our reality for us. I know..my people are pretty absorbent, they have to move on else lose their minds in this insanity of a life...but for HOW LONG?! That is the question.

Will things ever change? That...is yet another one.

I don't know. But I do know this: till we get tired of things, they have NO reason to change. That's a fact. I should be one to talk. What am I doing about it?!

Shebi I don blog now. That's something. And I'm telling that artist that his work is the best I've heard in a while. That he should keep going; he'll get there.

The NY Times reporter ended by telling a story about a visit he paid to a Nigerian beach and a man approached them to ask for payment..as though the beach was his; not nigeria's.

Well, I think it's time to take our beach back.

At least I wrote this. What are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment